Senior Planner - The City of Mill Valley, CA
Salary: $8,180 - $10,961/month + benefits
Deadline: July 17, 2022 - 5:00PM
The City of Mill Valley is pleased to announce a recruitment for the position of Senior Planner in our Planning & Building Department.
Under general direction, the Senior Planner will lead, oversee, and perform complex professional level duties and services related to current and advance planning activities; provide technical guidance and training to other planning and technical staff; oversee the day-to-day operation of the planning counter and current planning projects, particularly in the areas of single-family, multi-family and commercial design review. The Senior Planner will work with City departments, the Planning Commission, external agencies, the business community, neighborhood associations, and the general public on policies and procedures, regulations, design guidelines and other related land use, environmental and planning policies and procedures; and provide support to the Director of Planning and Building.
The ideal candidate will have an excellent understanding of the principles, practices, and techniques of urban planning. Additionally, the ideal candidate will have project management, critical thinking, and independent decision-making skills, exemplary customer service skills, and a passion for public service. The ideal candidate must be able to review and process entitlement applications, prepare written staff reports and CEQA environmental documents. The ideal candidate will possess a strong work ethic, the ability to prioritize tasks, the ability to work on a variety of projects with competing deadlines, and will be adaptable and open to new situations, ideas, and challenges. The ideal candidate should also have a strong track record of exercising good judgement and a proven ability to communicate effectively to a wide range of audiences.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in Planning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture or a closely related field. Advanced degree is preferred.
- Seven to ten years of increasingly responsible planning experience.
- Experience working with two or more similar public agencies in California is preferred.
- Leave – the City provides a generous leave package:
- 15 holidays and floating holidays/personal days
- 2 to 5 weeks of vacation leave based upon years of service
- “9/80” work schedule (optional)
- 8 days Administrative Leave
- Health Insurance – City provides the full premium for the Kaiser Family Plan or the equivalent thereof for employees who elect Western Health Advantage HMO.
- Dental Insurance – City provides the full premium for Delta Dental
- New employees with no prior CalPERS service or have a break in CalPERS service of 6 months or more: 2% @ 62
- New employees who are “classic” CalPERS members and do not have a break in service of more than 6 months: 2% @ 55
- 457 Deferred Compensation – the City offers up to $600/year in matching contributions toward deferred compensation
- Other – the City also pays the premium for Long-Term Disability Insurance and Life Insurance ($50,000)
The City of Mill Valley utilizes CalOpps.org to accept and process employment applications.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the City's official application form but should accompany the application. All applications and resumes will be reviewed to select those applicants whose qualifications appear to most closely match the requirements of the position. A limited number of qualified applicants may be invited to participate in the subsequent phase(s) of the recruitment process, which may include one or more of the following: written examination, performance examination, assessment exercises, oral interviews, and complete background checks. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee advancement in the selection process.
Paper applications may be obtained from the City of Mill Valley at City Hall, 26 Corte Madera Avenue, Mill Valley, CA 94941 or by calling (415) 388-4033 x4835.
Human Resources Manager Seth Allingham
Application Link: https://www.calopps.org/mill-valley/job-20258314